Willmar’s diverse economy and population provide new and existing businesses the right socio-economic environment for growth and success. Located 90 miles west of Minneapolis/St. Paul, this county seat with 20,000+ residents, offers the key transportation routes needed for today’s businesses.
Surrounded by productive farmlands and scenic lakes, this vibrant community supports robust medical, technology, service and value-added sectors.
Willmar is a regional center for advanced manufacturing, agricultural biosciences, healthcare, retail, service and hospitality. These industries generate employment opportunities and livable wages for thousands of families in the surrounding communities.
The way this community [Willmar] has embraced its growing workforce, its immigrant workforce, and is navigating those challenges is really a model for the rest of the state. – Steve Grove, DEED Commissioner and Former Google Executive
- In 2019 Willmar was ranked the 66th best Micropolitan area in the country and the top one in Minnesota
- Nearly 12k employees commute to Willmar for work on a daily basis
- Private investment in the MinnWest Technology Campus now exceeds $17M
- From 2016 to 2019, there has been over $190M in commercial, industrial, institutional and residential construction in Willmar
- From 2010 to 2018, Kandiyohi County’s labor force grew three times as fast as its overall population growth
- The overall index cost of living is almost 32% lower in Willmar than in the Minneapolis, Minnesota, metropolitan area
Be part of Willmar’s growth
Our area continues to be a leader in Greater Minnesota for business opportunities and workforce attraction. The Willmar Opportunity Zone Prospectus is a research-based document that can be used by interested investors who are entering the Opportunity Zone investing market. The Kandiyohi County and City of Willmar EDC team are highly skilled and ready to work with you on an Opportunity Zone investment.