How do I apply

Print the Main Street Economic Revitalization Application or visit the EDC office at 222 20th Street SE, Willmar for a paper copy available in the brochure rack in the entry way.  

There will be application assistance at the Willmar Public Library in mid-March. Check back here for exact dates and times. 

Applications are due by April 7th.  Return the completed application to the EDC in person, by post at Kandiyohi County & City of Willmar EDC att: Sarah Swedburg Main Street Grant, P.O. Box 1783, Willmar, MN 56201 or by email at [email protected]

Goal of the grant

The Main Street Revitalization Program is targeted toward small towns with big ideas! Improvements to businesses and main streets provide a benefit to entire communities. As the hub of Kandiyohi County, downtown Willmar serves as a regional center for restaurants, entertainment, shops, grocery stores and more. This revitalization boundary area is in downtown Willmar.

Who is eligible

Anyone whose business is within the Main Street Grant Boundary can apply.  

If you own a business outside of the designated grant area you can learn more about how the EDC supports you by visiting our Financial Assistance Page  or contacting us at [email protected] attn: business support or calling 320-235-7370.

What projects can apply?

This grant program will fund up to 30% of a project, the remaining 70% of the project costs must be available via cash or loans.

Eligible projects are those that would take place on the premises of the business and include renovation or improvement projects. These could include:

  • Repair, or renovation of real property (including projects such as roof replacement/repair, interior cosmetic upgrades, onsite signage, mechanical upgrades, etc.)
  • Building construction
  • Landscaping and streetscaping
  • Demolition and site preparation
  • Predesign and design
  • Engineering
  • Infrastructure
  • Related site amenities

Ineligible grant activities include working capital, inventory or non-permanent fixtures such as shelving, tables, seating, etc.  

Call or email Sarah Swedburg at [email protected] from the EDC or Scott Marquardt (SWIF) at [email protected] about possible matching funds that may be available to you. 


Translate »